Buildings and places, where important and historical events have taken place, places that are notable and have their own story to tell. Discover these places in Saldus municipality!
Oskars Kalpaks’ Square
The former market square is a popular place for concerts and festivities. On March 10, 1919, Saldus became the first Latvian town liberated by Oskars Kalpaks’ battallion. As a witness of that time a memorial stone was placed in the square and it was named after Oskars Kalpaks.
The Kapellers` House
The Kapellers’ family has played a significant role in the history and development of Saldus. Eduard Kapeller moved from Austria to Saldus with his family, built a house in 1857 and opened a pharmacy. Two rooms in the basement housed a private hospital. The Kapellers were active members of the social life in Saldus. Before the World War II, the family moved to Germany and the pharmacy came under the control of the Central Pharmacy Board. For many years this building housed the Saldus district library.
Various exhibitions, workshops, small concerts and events take place here regularly. Groups, especially students of all ages, are invited to participate in a variety of creative workshops and educational activities.
A potter’s workshop is located in the basement of the Kapellers’ house and visitors can create their own ceramic item. There is a pottery kiln is in the backyard, where the items are fired.
Building of Saldus Music School and Art School
The building of Saldus music school and art school received the Grand Prix at Latvian Architecture Award in 2013, and it opens a new page in Latvian contemporary architecture. The architects have created high quality architecture for everyday use, which offers an enjoyable and pleasant environment as a self-evident value for each visitor. The authors of the project are “MADE arhitekti”. Various exhibitions are always displayed in the school building, and concerts take place in the acoustic concert hall.
The market square used to be where Oskars Kalpaks’ square is now. All main roads led to the market, and regular market days were organized since the middle of the 19th century. The Ciecere fair, which took place in September, was the most popular event. Today the market is located on the other side of the junction.
Kalnsētas Elementary School Building
It was built in 1939 to house Ciecere parish elementary school. It is located near the Ciecere river. The school has been renamed several times but serves its original purpose to this day as a school.
The Post Office Building
The first postal service in Kurzeme was established by the Swedes in 1632, and it connected Riga with Klaipeda. Saldus station has been operating since then. Since 1892 Saldus post office has been located in several different places. The new post office building was built in 1926. It was designed by D. Zariņš, an architect from Riga. The post office building is a State Historical Monument.
The hotel was built by the German real estate owner Karl Walter. A hotel and a horse postal station began operation there at the end of the 19th century. The hotel occupied both floors of the building.
Saldus Children And Youth Centre
The building was built at the end of the 19th century to house the Friendship society. During its activity the society had a great impact on the cultural life in Saldus and the area, and many events took place in the building – concerts, shows, and plays. Artist Janis Rozentāls was an active member of the society. He designed stage decorations for events. From 1946 to 1992, the building was home to the organization of young pioneers and pupils. Saldus Children and Youth Centre has been located here since 1992.
Saldus Elementary School
The Building was built at the beginning of the 20th century and it was the first town school where the pupils were taught in Latvian. Until the end of the 19th century there was not a public school in Saldus, only private schools. The school garden and the area surrounding the school have always been a popular place for locals to relax. The building is beautifully illuminated at night.
Skrundas street has always been busy. The first factory in Saldus – a wool carding factory, which was later expanded by adding spinning machines, a steam mill and other machinery – was located on the corner of Skrundas and Ganību streets. A tobacco factory, later a plant that produced matches and also a furniture factory have been housed here. In 1895 an agriculture machinery plant with a foundry, a steam mill and a saw mill was established at 2 Skrundas street by Jānis Vicinskis, a notable industrialist in saldus. It was the largest factory of its kind in Kurzeme at the time. The house of the voluntary fire brigade, which was built in 1911, still stands at 28 Skrundas street.
The oldest street in Saldus is Striķu street, which once led to Baron Behr’s estate – Striķi manor. After the granting of town rights in 1856, the first buildings appeared in Striķu street. The one-storey houses built at the turn of the 20th century are still standing, as well as the two and three-storey dwellings closer to the town centre. Striķu street has had great significance in the lives of the locals. If was the location for municipal offices, the first schools, hotels and societies. Inns, taverns and small shops welcomed locals and travellers.
Former Firing Ground of the Soviet Army in Zvārde
During the Soviet time, most of the territory of Zvārde parish was transferred to the Soviet Air Forces to establish the largest (24.500 hectares) firing ground in Latvia. In Soviet times, it was a restricted area for civilians. The remains of the former air raid control tower can still be seen there.